Where will my child live during the proceedings?

Where will my child live during the proceedings?

This depends on what orders have been made in relation to your child. Your child may live with:

  • You at home in the community with help and assistance from agencies and social workers;
  • You in a residential unit;
  • You and your child in a foster placement;
  • Other family members;
  • A foster family;
  • A residential unit for children.

If you are not living with your child the local authority has a duty to promote a reasonable amount of contact between you and your child. Levels of contact vary greatly. This will depend on the issues in the case, the age of your child and a number of other factors. You should talk to your solicitor about the particular circumstances of your case.


Liz Fitzpatrick

01895 207857