Steven is a construction and engineering law specialist who principally advises clients in relation to disputes that arise with construction and engineering projects (whether that be by way of adjudication, mediation, arbitration or Court proceedings), but who also advises on all aspects of transactions including the negotiation of building contracts, professional appointments and security documents.
Steven is ranked as an ‘Associate to Watch’ in Chambers and Partners Directory and in the Legal 500 where the construction team is also recommended for its work. Click on the links to view Steven’s profile.
- Acting for a main contractor in respect of a claim against the employer in the Technology and Construction Court for unpaid sums – the main contractor succeeding at trial and recovering significant costs from the defendant employer, on an indemnity basis. This matter also involved assisting with a series of interim applications and appeals triggered by the unsuccessful defendant employer (including an appeal to the Court of Appeal), all of which the main contractor succeeded in defending;
- Acting for developer employer clients and a main contractor client in connection with claims against professional consultants (architect and structural engineer, respectively).
- Acting for clients in various proceedings in the Technology and Construction Court in relation to claims for unpaid sums, sub-standard design, workmanship defects and time and delay claims.
- Acting for a developer employer in defending adjudication proceedings – the main contractor claiming in excess of £3m and recovering only a fraction (less than 10%);
- Acting for a main contractor in defending an adjudication referred by a specialist sub-contractor – the sub-contractor claiming in excess of £500k and recovering only a fraction (less 10%);
- Acting for employers, contractors and sub-contractors in mediations, in an effort to resolve matters without further costs needing to be incurred;
- Advising employers in relation to the insolvency of a main contractor, and negotiating the necessary construction documentation enabling the appointment of a replacement contractor;
- Acting for residential developer and charity clients with the construction of development sites and care homes. This includes the negotiation and drafting of building contracts with housing associations and the main contractor (as the case may be), to the drafting and negotiation of professional consultant appointments and security documentation; and
- Assisting IBB’s real estate group with construction related enquires arising from transactional matters, including the carrying out of construction due diligence and the negotiation of construction related obligations contained in sale/purchase agreements.
The Construction and Engineering team’s Paul Brampton has produced a free webinar titled: Construction Act Changes.