Home / Insights / Blog / I have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution what should I do?

I have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution what should I do?

I have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution what should I do?

If you receive a NIP you should respond to it within the 28 days allowed. Failure to respond to the Notice is an offence for which your driving licence could be endorsed with 6 penalty points.

I have received a summons to attend court for a road traffic offence what should I do?

If you receive a summons or postal requisition requiring you to attend court you should seek advice from a solicitor who specialises in road traffic law as soon as possible. Here at IBB we can offer you a fixed fee appointment to discuss the allegation you face and how the prosecution will attempt to prove the offence. You will be provided with advice on whether to plead guilty or not guilty and the likely consequences if convicted.

Will I get Legal Aid for a road traffic offence?

Legal Aid is not usually available for road traffic matters. This is because in order to qualify for legal aid it is necessary to pass two tests. One test is a means test and the other considers whether the offence you face is sufficiently serious to warrant legal aid being granted, this usually requires the offence to be punishable with imprisonment. At IBB we hold a contract to provide legal aid should you qualify for it.

If legal aid is not available your insurance policy may provide some cover so it is worth checking.

If I do not qualify for legal aid how much will it cost me?

The cost of legal advice and representation will vary in each individual case. We offer an initial fixed fee appointment to discuss all aspects of the case and will provide you with a clear indication of costs from the outset.

Will I be disqualified from driving?

Whether or not you will be disqualified form driving will depend on the offence you have been accused of and your driving record.

If you have been caught travelling at a speed far in excess of the limit in force you could be disqualified for a short period of time usually up to 56 days.

If you have acquired 12 or more points on your licence within a 3 year period you could face a 6 month disqualification.

Some offences carry a mandatory disqualification upon conviction.

I am at risk of being disqualified from driving what should I do?

If you are facing a disqualification from driving then it is essential to obtain legal advice from a solicitor specialising ion road traffic law as soon as possible. There may be arguments which can be advanced on our behalf to seek to persuade the court not to disqualify. Any such argument however needs to be properly prepared and supported by evidence to have a realistic prospect of success so he sooner the advice is obtained the better.

If you or a family member has been charged with a road traffic offence, we can help. Call 0330 999 4999 for immediate help or 01895 207928.  Alternatively, email us at criminaldefence@ibblaw.co.uk.