James is a Senior Associate in the Construction and Engineering team.
James advises clients in relation to construction, property damage and structural defects disputes, mainly in the Technology and Construction Court, adjudication and mediation. He also has specialist experience of related insurance disputes, acting for both insurers and insured parties.
James advises clients in relation to cladding and fire safety issues, and the Building Safety Act 2022.
Prior to joining IBB, James worked for 15 years at the London office of a leading international law firm, where he was instructed in a number of high-profile matters including the Shepherds Court fire and the Buncefield litigation.
Examples of James’ experience include:
- Advising developer in relation to DLUHC Self-Remediation Terms contract terms, remediation works and Building Safety Act 2022
- Advising London market insurers in respect of £9m+ TCC claim following fire incident at town hall building in London, and CPR 19.2 application.
- Defending £40m+ TCC claim relating to alleged defects at “super-prime” residential property in London. Complex multi-party claim involving new homes warranty providers and construction professionals.
- Buncefield litigation. Explosion caused by overspill from fuel storage tank in 2005, leading to up to 130 property damage claims in TCC and subsequent costs litigation
- Acting in multi-party dispute involving Network Rail, utility companies and construction professionals arising from train derailment in 2013, to mediation
- Advising food production company in relation of claim against multinational manufacturer of industrial ovens following oven failures, to mediation
- Advising property management company and its insurer in successful recovery of losses under Defective Premises Act 1978 in TCC following multiple water leaks and other defects at large residential block in London
James works from our Uxbridge and Reading offices.