John Milner heads the business crime and fraud team. He is a highly experienced litigator with 12 years’ experience in the London market at a top 20 firm.
John specialises in representing individuals who are the subject of criminal, white collar or regulatory investigations, principally in relation to business crime offences – financial crime, fraud, tax evasion, bribery and corruption, insider dealing, money laundering, boiler room fraud, restraint and confiscation – but also more general criminal conduct including allegations of violence, sexual offences generally and historic sex offences.
He has represented individuals, including accountants, lawyers and other professionals, facing investigation and proceedings brought by the SFO, FCA, RCPO and CPS. His aim is always to avoid criminal proceedings, but if that proves impossible, John is able to advise and guide individuals throughout the entire investigation and trial process from internal and regulatory investigation, interview under caution, to charge and trial.
John Milner Listed in Who’s Who Legal: Business Crime Defence 2023
John’s recent work includes representing individuals in the following cases:
- SFO Cases: Glencore, Raedex Consortium, Balli Group, Serco, and Tesco.
- A French banker in the NCA trial of a £multi-million fraud against the Libyan wealth fund.
- The first defendant in the SFO Unaoil trial.
- A UBS compliance officer in an FCA insider dealing trial.
- An Italian banker acquitted of all charges in a fraud on a Russian investment bank and UK Asset Management company.
- An Italian company director in the SFO Bertling trial.
- One of the New York based derivatives traders in the SFO Barclays USD Libor trial.
- One of the UK based traders acquitted in the SFO Barclays/Deutsche Bank EURIBOR trial.
Chambers UK 2024: The Regions Financial crime – Star Individual
- “John’s reputation in the market is second to none and his skill set is amazing.”
- “John is top drawer and has a vast wealth of experience. There isn’t anyone better.”
- “John is a positive realist – he’s got a nice trust with clients but doesn’t promise them unattainable objects.”
Legal 500 2024: South East General Crime & Fraud – Leading Individual
London Fraud White Collar Advice to Individuals – IBB Law Tier 4
- “John Milner is outstanding. His experience is vast, he is highly astute, works his socks off and is a delight to deal with. Very few people have the level of strategic awareness that John has, and he uses it to its full advantage. He knows everyone and puts those connections to use when representing clients. An A1 solicitor, bursting with talent.”
- “John has been involved in many of the major large fraud trials over the years and has a hands-on experience which is second to none.”
- “John Milner has extensive experience in dealing with the most serious high-profile fraud cases. He is able to gain the trust of clients, whether they are sophisticated or naïve and inexperienced. His many years’ experience has given him excellent judgment in seeking to resolve cases in his clients best interests. If a matter is to be contested he is unstinting in his efforts in support of his clients.”