Paul Brampton is a construction and engineering law specialist and advises clients operating in the commercial, leisure, hotel, office, housing, health, manufacturing, energy, infrastructure, charity, and public works sectors.
In addition to advising on the construction and engineering aspects of transactions, assembling the team and preparing the necessary legal documentation, he acts for parties in adjudications, expert determinations, mediations, arbitrations and court proceedings in the Technology and Construction Court and the Court of Appeal.
Paul is an officer of the London Constructing Excellence Club an organisation which is committed to knowledge sharing and promoting best practice and he is a member of the Society of Construction Law. Paul holds a degree in civil and structural engineering, and has written for Building Magazine, Construction News, Legal Week and the Financial Times.
Paul is the Chairman of the IBB Charitable Trust.
Paul is ranked as a Band 1 leading individual in the Chambers and Partners Directory and in the Legal 500 where the construction team is also ranked as a Top Tier firm.
“…some stellar feedback from clients. The group has created a strong profile in the market for both contentious and non-contentious construction” Chambers and Partners UK
“Superb responsiveness and value for money” – Chambers and Partners UK
“Group head Paul Brampton is praised for his efficiency and pragmatism, which match that of the team as a whole.” Chambers and Partners UK
“Paul Brampton is praised by clients for his ‘excellent attention to detail’” – Chambers and Partners UK
“Clients appreciate the ‘expertise and delivery of Paul Brampton’ at IBB Law LLP” Legal 500
Paul is also listed in the Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers directory.
- Construction due diligence for RBS, HSBC, Deutsche Postbank, Allied Irish Bank, Anglo Irish Bank and Bank of Scotland in relation to UK developments including the Courage Brewery site in Bristol and the Unity building in Liverpool
- Construction advice to Malmaison Hotels and Hotel du Vin in relation to hotel developments at Aberdeen, Cambridge, Cheltenham, Edinburgh, Liverpool, London (Old Bailey), Newcastle, Reading, and York
- Construction adviser to a Guernsey Property Unit Trust Fund in relation to the construction of the Radisson Blu hotel at Broad Quay, Bristol
- Adviser to Teenage Cancer Trust in relation to its development programme on NHS sites across the UK including the award-winning Skypad at the University of Wales Hospital in Cardiff and the Birmingham Children’s Hospital. Other hospital sites include Addenbrookes, UCLH, the Freeman Hospital, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham, City Hospital in Nottingham, Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital, Castle Hill Hospital in Hull, and the Beatson in Glasgow
- Preparation of construction documentation for use by the Lidl supermarket chain on its programme of UK projects
- Acted for Toyota UK in relation to a series of successful adjudications against a Japanese building contractor
- Construction advice to Domino’s Pizza on the construction of its UK commissary facility, UK headquarters and conference facility
- Adviser to Greenstar on the construction of a materials recovery facility in North London
- Adviser to ABB Zantingh in relation to Combined Heat and Power plants
- Adviser to Cummins Power Generation in relation to secondary power systems
- Acting for local government in relation to disputes concerning public works including the Bath Spa and Paddington Bridge
BEng in Civil and Structural Engineering from Bristol University (1991), qualified as a solicitor (1996)
K & L Gates, Taylor Wessing; joined IBB February 2007
Paul Brampton has produced a free webinar titled: Construction Act Changes.