Special Educational Needs Solicitor

Special educational needs is always an emotive area and, in these cases, it is vital to make sure that your loved ones have the care they need.

Please note: we are unfortunately unable to advise clients on a legal aid basis. If you are looking for legal aid, or for general guidance on what actions you can take to protect you or your child’s education rights, you can refer to the Education section of the Citizens Advice website.

Need an expert Education Lawyer?

Have a free call with one of our experts.

Start now

There are processes in law that allow for an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) to be created to help identify a child’s needs and the provision to meet those needs.   At IBB Law we are very specialised in helping parents and guardians in obtaining the EHCP, working with schools to achieve the right placement for the child and representing clients in the First Tier and Upper Tribunals when disputes arise with the Local Authority.

Once a request for an assessment for an EHCP is made, the Local Authority has 6 weeks to respond and make a decision about whether to conduct an assessment. This process will result in a decision about whether to conduct an assessment. If the assessment is approved the process will take up to a maximum of 20 weeks from the initial date of receipt of your request for the final EHCP to be issued.

Our expertise with special educational needs

Our solicitors have experience supporting individuals and families throughout the appeals process and have a proven track record handling:

  • Requests for EHCPs
  • Providing expert guidance throughout the process.
  • Ensuring correct and suitable provisions is stated in the EHCP for the child/young person in question by working closely with relevant experts such as psychologists or psychiatrists
  • Assisting families throughout tribunal process.

How our team can help with all special educational needs issues

We can also provide addition practical support through:

  • Challenging local authorities regarding payment for specialist residential school care
  • Providing instruction to independent and specialist barristers
  • Instructing experts
  • Document drafting
  • Case Preparation
  • Providing specialist advice regarding negotiations and settlement

Get clear legal advice and support for dealing with special educational needs

The information given here is intended for general information purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.

If you want to know more about how we can help with your own legal queries surrounding academic failure, please contact our education law consultant Salima Mawji on 01895 207247 or email salima.mawji@ibblaw.co.uk.


    How can we help you?

    Please fill in the form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Serviceapply.